Friday, January 25, 2008

Slagel, don't go

The Nightly Build...

Richardson, Our Little Town

When it comes to discord, corruption, and pure drama, Richardson doesn't compare to Dallas, or even Farmers Branch, a suburb with a name that doesn't fit the civic tensions dividing that city. But something is lurking behind the boring front Richardson shows the world. Richardson's city council has been a cozy club for a couple decades. That coziness has had a few shocks lately, but the behind-the-scenes story has yet to be told.

Nathan Morgan hints at what might be happening with a story in Pegasus News examining the curious effect of the last council elections on the career of Mayor Gary Slagel. Slagel has taken some criticism in the past for the business relationship between his own company and the city. Yet the mayor was unopposed in his re-election bid for his seat on the council. Richardson's mayor is then chosen by the council itself from the council's own members. Slagel was not chosen by his fellow council members to serve another term as mayor. Slagel indicated he might step down from the council altogether, but after a show of public support, he announced he would serve out his term.

All very curious. None of it very well explained to the public. Nathan Morgan doesn't have the full story, either, but he's asking the right questions. It's too bad that Richardson, surrounded by other suburbs and dwarfed by Dallas and its more public scandals, doesn't have a source of investigative journalism to dig up the answers.

2 comments:

Ed Cognoski said...

In a private email, someone informed me that there are a few errors in my blog post without saying exactly what they are. I'm not surprised. I admit that I have more questions than answers. I'll be glad to post corrections or additional information if anyone offers it.

Scout said...

I've edited my original post to remove some statements presented as fact for which I can find no evidence in the public record. There may still be errors, which I will be glad to correct if they are brought to my attention.