Friday, June 22, 2007

Why people don't like us

FrontBurner | Reid Slaughter:
“Those of [Dallas Morning News intern] Matthew Haag's generation have an unprecedented desire for fame and attention (hence, My Space, Facebook, Xanga, etc.). This young reporter, whose heart may be exactly in the right place, doesn't realize how his thrill at a front page by-line is appalling to a public who cares more about the subject than the messenger. The day that journalism becomes more a path to stardom than a vocation of serving one's fellow man is the day we are finished.”
Ed Cognoski responds:

I was with Mr Slaughter until the last few words. I'm a regular reader of Frontburner, and it's never occurred to me that "serving one's fellow man" is on the minds of any of the bloggers there. Snarky has always seemed more descriptive of what they're trying to achieve. I think Trey Garrison was closer to the mark when he hinted that his objection to the DMN interns was based on an urge he just couldn't suppress to "pick on interns because they're all young, stupid and need to get off my lawn."

3 comments:

Ed Cognoski said...

Correction. The full quote from Mr Garrison's own blog entry is, "Look, I don't want to pick on interns because they're all young, stupid and need to get off my lawn." I interpreted that as a snarky way to pick on interns. I now accept that I was wrong in my interpretation and that Mr Garrison truly did not want to pick on interns. I apologize to Mr Garrison.

Anonymous said...

Reid Slaughter comments, "The day that journalism becomes more a path to stardom than a vocation of serving one's fellow man is the day we are finished.”
He better than anyone should realize that by failing to pay over a half-dozen writers who contributed contracted pieces for his Golf Connoisseur magazine, he's propelling journalism and publishing further into the tank. Slaughter shows no competence at the business of publishing or respect for the art of journalism. All he really cares about is himself.

Ed Cognoski said...

I don't know the story behind the Golf Connoisseur accusations. If this has been aired elsewhere, I'd appreciate a link to follow. In any case, thanks for commenting.