Saturday, February 17, 2018

Don't Trust Anyone Over Thirty

A blogger I've admired for over a decade (I think it's been that long; my memory might fail me) has recently decided to scrub the Internet of all of her old opinions. I know, I know, foolish quest. The Internet is forever. Anyway, she posits a new law: "Nobody should be allowed to put any of their dumbass thoughts or feels on the internet until at least 30."

When I was young, a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, the campus anti-war movement had a rallying cry, "Don't trust anyone over thirty." I'm well past that milestone now, but I still think there's a nugget of wisdom there.

Wars are still started by old men but fought and died for by young men.

National debt is still piled up by old men but inherited by the next generation.

And absolute gun rights are enshrined and defended by old men but we bury the child victims that result.

Don't trust anyone over thirty. Still sounds good.

4 comments:

Betty White said...

I value each decade that I stay open to learning new things. No one has it all figured out. So, why erase an entire decade of learning? Seems silly. And, old farts do sometimes get stuck in “the right way” to do things which causes more harm than good.

Ed Cognoski said...

Betty White? Big, if true. Otherwise, not cool.

Anonymous said...

I even made a blogger account - how nifty! But, can we get rid of the picture verifying I am not a robot?! I can hardly see as it is!

Ed Cognoski said...

I think the robot test is there specifically for accounts like yours.