Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Blog Reset

Ed Cognoski 2.0

When the blog "Ed Cognoski" made its debut almost four years ago, it was conceived as a place to comment on the day's news, or rather, on how that news is presented by the north Texas media. Rather than shouting back at my television or tossing my newspaper to the ground in disgust, I began blogging. And that's how it's been ever since.

Lately, for a variety of reasons, I've found that there are fewer journalistic abuses that prompt my criticism. Not necessarily that there are fewer journalistic abuses, mind you, just that either I see fewer of them now or the ones I do see bother me less. The World Wide Web and TiVo offer me more control over what I read and hear. Content that fails to live up to my standards of intelligence and reason has been crowded out of the marketplace, or at least out of the marketplace where I find myself shopping. This year's Richardson City Council election drew my focus away from national, state and Dallas news and more towards the hyper-local news of Richardson. Unfortunately, there just isn't that much news coverage of Richardson, Texas, to comment on.

All of this has led me to the conclusion that it's time for a blog reset. I'm going to relax this blog's self-imposed structure of commenting only on how others present the news. That means the blog will shed some of its negative character :-). It also means topics not in the headlines will have a chance to make it onto these pages. I also intend to relax this blog's self-imposed requirement to react to some news story each and every weekday. That means I won't have to reach to find a topic worth commenting on, as I sometimes find myself having to do. Finally, I'd like find a way to get more reader input into the blog, but I don't have control over the lurkers, so there can be no promises on that front.

We'll see whether Ed Cognoski 2.0 is more like Windows XP or Windows Vista. No, scratch that. All Windows releases have been Crap®. No, again. On further thought, maybe the question is apt after all. We'll see.

7 comments:

Alan Stock said...

Recent lurker here, I certainly appreciate your input on Richardson happenings.

Ed Cognoski said...

Alan Stock, thanks. And I appreciate hearing everyone's inputs. I think Richardson can be made the better for it.

Lee Gibson said...

I hope you retain the hyper-local focus. I don't live in Richardson, so I don't much care on my own account. But the hyper-local focus provides a very valueable service for those readers who do.

barb said...

And, I promise to behave - or atleast try to. :)

Ed Cognoski said...

Lee Gibson, thanks for the suggestion. Keep 'em comin'.

barb, in my opinion, bad behavior has not been a problem here. Now, don't anyone take that as a challenge.

Trey said...

Challenge accepted, El Capitan.

Ed Cognoski said...

Trey, I knew I could count on you.