Friday, February 20, 2009

Flag desecration; Boss' back story

The Nightly Build...

Who's Desecrating the Flag Now?

Jenny Hoff, on the Austin KXAN Web site, points out a Rick Perry campaign Web site that uses a US flag dripping blood to rally his base against "bailouts". This is hypocritical on two levels. First, Perry pretends to be patriotic but here he desecrates the flag to make a partisan political point. Second, Perry has condemned the federal government's actions to counter the economic crisis in one breath and says he'll take government money in the next. Perry: "The stimulus is bad. How soon can Texas get its money?" Talk about two-faced. 2010 and Kay Baily Hutchison can't get here soon enough.

P.S. Where is Karen Brooks?


I Got Mine. Screw You.

Rod Dreher, in The Dallas Morning News Opinion blog, passes on a letter making the rounds on the Internet, titled "Letter from the Boss." The letter purports to tell the "back story" of how the boss got where he is by long years of slaving over his business and denying himself any rewards. The money quote:

"If any new taxes are levied on me, or my company, my reaction will be swift and simple. I'll fire you and your coworkers. You can then plead with the government to pay for your mortgage, your SUV, and your child's future. Frankly, it isn't my problem any more.

Then, I will close this company down, move to another country, and retire. You see, I'm done. I'm done with a country that penalizes the productive and gives to the unproductive. My motivation to work and to provide jobs will be destroyed, and with it, will be my citizenship."

Shorter boss: I got mine. Screw you.

With people skills as poor as this, I'm surprised the business this boss runs has survived as long as it has. Nevertheless, as much as tries to pit employers against employees, we shouldn't take his bait. We're all in this together.

Reader "Brandon" objects that we are not all in this together. To him, only those who "squandered or destroyed what they had" are in trouble. It's probably useless arguing with "Brandon" and it's certainly counterproductive. Whether he understands it or not, we truly are all in this together. Arguing with him would only widen the divisions that we need to narrow. So, let's focus on repairing our economy, whether everyone wants to join the effort or not.

P.S. I find it telling that Rod Dreher spreads anonymous, inflammatory emails that land in his inbox. Maybe this is what journalism is devolving into.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What? You think Rod Dreher's a journalist? What gave you that idea?

Ed Cognoski said...

Oh, Rod Dreher's a journalist. It's just that with the democratization of journalism by the Internet, being a journalist doesn't mean much anymore.