Thursday, February 15, 2007

Censorship at Dallas Blog - yet again

In 2006, Tom Pauken of Dallas Blog was named chairman of something called the Task Force on Appraisal Reform. On January 23, 2007, the task force submitted its recommendations to Governor Rick Perry.

I posted my own analysis of those recommendations on my own blog here. I concluded that Gov. Perry and Tom Pauken used so-called appraisal reform as a cover to target their real aim: capping the growth of local government spending. Nevertheless, there were one or two recommendations that I found I could support.

Mr Pauken's recommendations have now disappeared into the maw of legislative sausage-making. When and how they will reappear is unknown. Today, Mr Pauken, trying to spur some action, posted a blog entry on his Dallas Blog calling on readers to let their legislator know that "appraisal reform" (sic) should be the top priority of the 80th session of the Texas legislature. Nothing has changed on this issue since the task force issued its report. Mr Pauken's posting today offers nothing new, except to bemoan the fact that other issues are getting more press than his pet issue: new coal plants by TXU, mandatory HPV vaccinations, and sale of the state lottery.

Mr Pauken wants to control the debate on this issue. Moderation is turned on for any comments in response to his lobbying for reader action, meaning editor approval is necessary before any comments are posted. I submitted a link to my earlier analysis. That link was not approved by Mr Pauken. No explanation as to why. Just ... nothing. I leave it to readers to determine what Dallas Blog blogging policy I violated. The heavy hand of censorship at Dallas Blog is still suppressing open dialog.

No comments: